Can we store DataStoreSettings per Blog?

May 19, 2009 at 1:50 AM

DataStoreSettings appear to be global, but for the purpose of multiple blogs, some Extension settings are configured per each blog.  I'm using a couple that will interfere with each other as well as some that may use the exact same setting.  I need the former, and prefer the latter as an option if I could have it both ways.  Currently, the configuration seems to be "shared" for all blogs within a mutiple blog environment.

An Example of a configuration that should be specific to each blog is: SnapShots

An Example of one that might be either, could be: AdsenseInjector

Since only a handful of Extensions actually store settings, or track useage, there could be options allow for Blog specific, group of blogs, or global/default settings.  What is the best way to proceed on this possible solution, or does it seem practical?

Coordinator
May 19, 2009 at 7:14 AM
Edited May 19, 2009 at 7:14 AM

Yeah, you're right. It's all general at the moment. It wouldn't be that hard to create and implement a new relationship table (aside from the hassle any functional upgrade would be). DataStore just got put off initially and fell off my radar (so I'm glad you brought it up). I'm thinking that I want to tackle referrer integration first, though.

The problem with extensive configuration is administrating it. If we create a bunch of configuration options, then it becomes both more complex to program as well as harder to configure correctly. That said, building in the options isn't a bad idea if they'll be useful. I'll give it some consideration because I know that I personally will hate having to configure something I want global on a per-blog basis and I think that may be the majority use case...

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:26 AM

This may be late, but thank you for this.  I'm having problems in production with saving some extension data, but it works in dev environment.  I may need to rebuild my SQL Db and migrate settings manually.  Do you have a specific recommended process for this?