defaultProvider="LinqMembershipProvider"

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:40 AM

Hi Jacob

I have a website setup using the ASP Membership framework and SQL Server. I have setup BlogEngine and can serve the single basic blog. Now I want to add multi-blogging where members of the website can create their own blog (or blogs). I have done the following.

1. Copy BlogEngine.SQLServer.dll and BlogEngine.SQLServer.pdb to website bin directory.

2. Modify web.config to add the following line to BlogEngine -> Providers
        <add name="SQLBlogProvider" type="BlogEngine.SQLServer.SqlBlogProvider, BlogEngine.SQLServer" connectionStringName="BlogEngine" />

3. Modify web.config to change default blog provider to <blogProvider defaultProvider="SQLBlogProvider">.

I am now at that section of the instructions regarding the providers. My providers are all set up using the SQL Membership, SQL Role and SQL Profile providers as the default providers. Your instructions call for that to be changes to defaultProvider="LinqMembershipProvider". Is this an option or is it required? Will this mean the website will no longer use the existing SQL membership structure?

I am going to skip this step for now and proceed with altering the (test) database to see what happens. However I would really like to hear from you on what is required and what I need to do to achieve my goal of providing blogs for my website members.

Thanks

Richard

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2009 at 7:28 AM

You should be fine using the regular ASP membership provider, just recognize that doing so means all the blogs are using the same membership information. Also, don't foget that if you're going to use multi-blogging, you'll need to add the multiblog="true" to the provider. Information for doing so should be in the readme in the download and I blogged about it as well (in the "Multiple-blog Configuration" section).

Jacob

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Hi Jacob

I am not sure what the implications are of "all the blogs are using the same membership information". I want it so that any user can create their own blog and administer their own blog, but other users can see any blog on the site. (After all, blogs are intended for anonymous viewing in most cases.) Does user the SQL membership provider mean that all users can administer all other users blogs?

I have not gone further on this as I had to rebuild my dev environment yesterday thanks to some injudicious unit testing. I will continue today and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Richard